Home > general, grails, plugin > Started new offline Grails Plugin Repository

Started new offline Grails Plugin Repository

September 10th, 2009

Plugrepo is an offline Grails (and maybe Griffon) plugin repository. It can be used as an offline proxy for the grails.org repository as well as a repository for internal plugins, which are not ment to be published.

The application is work in progress, see project page at http://github.com/jetztgradnet/plugrepo/

PlugRepo main screen

Categories: general, grails, plugin Tags:
  1. October 22nd, 2009 at 11:42 | #1

Hello from Russia!
    Can I quote a post in your blog with the link to you?

2. jetztgradnet
    October 22nd, 2009 at 21:58 | #2

Hi Polprav,

yes, that’s ok.

3. March 30th, 2010 at 15:24 | #3

Hi Jetztgradnet,
    I am able to build & deploy Plugrepo in Tomcat.

All plugins are seems to be downloaded, when i looked in the browser (plugin list). But found that in plugrepo\WEB-INF\data\plugrepo directory, no plugins are downloaded.

My aim is to download all the grails plugins and set up a local repository, so that computers without internet access can download the repositories.

Any clues ?

Thanks In Advance

With Regards
    Santhanam

4. jetztgradnet
    March 31st, 2010 at 11:25 | #4

Hi Santhanam,

Plugrepo is not yet finished. It downloaded only meta data, not the actual plugin zips. As Grails 1.3 allows installing plugins from Maven repos, I haven’t decided yet, whether to continue development of Plugrepo.

For another approach see http://juddsolutions.blogspot.com/2009/07/grails-read-only-plugin-repository.html

5. Mike
    September 8th, 2010 at 14:44 | #5

Hello,
    First thank you for all the contributions to the grails community! I was wondering if you have done any additional work on plugrepo, or plan to? Having a way to host an offline grails repository would be very useful to me, and plugrepo looks like it could be a great solution.
    Unfortunately, I have hit a few speedbumps so far:
    1) Trying to use the project with the latest version of grails (currently 1.3.4) doesn’t work. Not a big deal, but GORM is not happy…and I’m not sure why :-/
    2) When using grails 1.1.2 ( I haven’t tried 1.1.1 yet ), I don’t think plugins are actually downloaded properly. Although I’m not sure where they are being stored by default, is this configurable ?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

6. jetztgradnet
    September 8th, 2010 at 17:55 | #6

Hi Mike,

at the time, an offline repository for Grails plugins seemed a nice idea. But in Grails 1.2 (or was it 1.3?), Grails gained plugin dependency resolution for plugins via Maven/Ivy repositories, which is even better. There are at least two really good repository managers for Maven repos (Artifactory and Nexus), which provide everything for hosting a repository.

To conclude, I don’t plan to continue development of plugrepo, sorry. If you are still on Grails 1.1, I can only encourage you to upgrade or otherwise create a SVN repository as described here: http://juddsolutions.blogspot.com/2009/07/grails-read-only-plugin-repository.html. You might also be interessed in this thread on the Grails mailing list: http://grails.1312388.n4.nabble.com/custom-plugin-repository-without-Maven-or-SVN-td2228566.html

If you want to create something based on plugrepo, be my guest. It is far from finished. So far, only manual upload of plugin zips works. You can look at (and fork) the code at GitHub.

HTH,