Home > grails, monitoring, plugin, release > (Temporarily) pulling the plug on Grails Monitor Plugin

(Temporarily) pulling the plug on Grails Monitor Plugin

February 22nd, 2008

I’m terribly sorry, but I have to (at least temporarily) pull the plug on Monitor Plugin due to possible conflicts with my employer.

In my professional live I’m working on high availability and monitoring software. When I showed the plugin to my employer,
he asked me to suspend any activities regarding the plugin, until they decide whether this conflicts with our products.

I hope I will be able to continue with the monitor plugin, but until this issue is resolved, I have removed both sources and
downloads.

Regards,

Wolfgang

Categories: grails, monitoring, plugin, release Tags:
  1. aperepel
    February 22nd, 2008 at 18:46 | #1

Well, unless you did it at your day job, the employer has no legal right to demand this from you. That is, even if you develop the same type systems at your day job, but created the plugin at home on your own (from memory and experiences), without copying their source code, you are fine.

It would be a shame to submit to such a request though.

2. Adam
    February 22nd, 2008 at 18:50 | #2

Just tell us for whom you are working. We would like to know who is not supporting the Grails community 😉

Regards,
    a.

3. iamsteveholmes
    February 22nd, 2008 at 19:45 | #3

Yikes! Whatever you do don’t listen to bad legal advice. No offense aperepel but (at least in the U.S., other countries are likely different) employers can assume intellectual property rights over anything you do on your “private time” if it’s related to what you do for your employer (similar domains) or if you use tools, such as a laptop or software, provided by the employer. So if you build a fence that’s different but the fact that it is in the same domain as what he does during the day means he’s screwed. In the U.S., when you are a salaried exempt employee, the employer can own 100% of your work time, forbid you from taking on external jobs, etc.

4. aperepel
    February 22nd, 2008 at 19:52 | #4

Sure, IANAL, but contracts differ.

5. alToS
    September 3rd, 2008 at 12:57 | #5

Hi, seems that you had to fully stop work on that plugin, hadn’t you? It’s interesting to know how all ended.

6. Wolfgang Schell
    October 9th, 2008 at 20:50 | #6

@altos: Thanks for your interest! For the time being development has ceased. But I still have the code in my SVN, so if maybe the time will come for another try. But don’t hold your breath…

7. Kimble
    August 13th, 2009 at 15:37 | #7

That's a shame! I was really excited when I came across it.

Hope you get the opportunity to keep release it again.

Comments are closed.